Nintendo tried to secure the rights to Harry Potter in 1998

Keep up to date with the latest Nintendo news.

Nintendo tried to secure the rights to Harry Potter in 1998

Postby Poisentoad » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:33 am

The license for Harry Potter was going to be auctioned off and a bunch of large media companies such as Nintendo, Disney, Warner Bros. and Universal were pitching ideas to secure exclusive rights to Harry Potter. Nintendo pitched ideas for a third person adventure title and a game based on quidditch.

The art style of the game would have originally featured something akin to the Thomas Taylor book cover art but eventually higher ups at Nintendo Software Technology insisted it be more anime/manga styled. Concept art of this exists but Nintendo would not allow it to be made public.

JK Rowling declined Nintendo's bid and sold the rights to Warner Bros. Nintendo's only platform was gaming while Warner Bros. spanned movies, television, and gaming.

Had Nintendo secured the rights, Harry Potter games would have been made to coincide with the books' releases starting with the Nintendo 64. And the Harry Potter movies we know today may not have existed.

Source
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Re: Nintendo tried to secure the rights to Harry Potter in 1

Postby Goombachi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:07 pm

but eventually higher ups at Nintendo Software Technology insisted it be more anime/manga styled.

you FOOLS
I mean this makes sense and I can totally see why JK Rowling would want a company that's more diverse but c'mon guys, she's a British woman who used to be penniless until she worked her ass off and suddenly became rich. No part of that says "anime fan" to me. It certainly doesn't help.

Also, Harry Potter in Smash Bros. is an interesting thought.
Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Re: Nintendo tried to secure the rights to Harry Potter in 1

Postby fantanoice » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:20 pm

Can't say I blame her either, WB had way more to offer and could likely get more in return. I also doubt Nintendo would have agreed to keep its British roots (ie: voice actors, setting, etc).
Games, Entertainment, Tech Forum
You wouldn't check it out B)
fantanoice
Goomba

Return to Nintendo News