Nite's Ace Attorney Rankings Thread

Discuss games and systems that are not made by Nintendo.

Re: Nite's Ace Attorney Rankings Thread

Postby Nightmare » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Turnabout Big Top

Plot - 7/10
The plot keeps you hooked through the thick and thin, even if the trial itself can wear down your enthusiasm.
Characters - 7/10
The plot keeps you hooked through the thick and thin, even if the trial itself can wear down your enthusiasm. Some (most) of them are obnoxious at times, though.
Emotion - 10/10
Full points for drama, no question. This is the first trial in the series where you can end up feeling sorry for the victim, for those related to the crime, AND the killer themselves. It's very ambivalent.
Setting - 9/10
The Berry Big Circus is an interesting location, though the nature of the layout has you treading back and forth through the same areas over and over again, which gets tiring.
Satisfaction - 5/10
I wanted to give this a lower score, I really did. The truth of the trial sucks, big time. But in the end, things are strangely uplifting for those who remain in the aftermath. Plus, they shoehorn the return of a big character in the mysterious ending cutscene.

Overall - 8/10

Final Thoughts: Turnabout Big Top is an odd case. At a glance, I would have looked back at this as my least favorite case in the series because of how tedious the investigation was, how ridiculous the nature of the crime is, and how ultimately finding the true killer is a hard pill to swallow. Ironically, the gameplay problems I had associated in my memories with this trial were more prominent, in the previous trial. Funny how they swapped like that. Anyway, it's a solid episode. It's certainly no longer what I considered to be the worst case, as even some of my previous ratings can attest.
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Nightmare » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:49 am

Farewell, My Turnabout

Plot - 10/10
This one has so many plot twists and revelations that I found it impossible to not be absolutely invested with every turn of events.
Characters - 10/10
This case marks one of the best examples of using returning characters in the cast, having brought back several memorable faces from Global Studios from the last game. On top of that, the villain(s) is/are amazing. Some of the best antagonists to date!
Emotion - 10/10
I'd go higher than 10 if I could, like I said, I was 100% focused on everything. The drama was intense. The suspense was thick. And near the end, I felt like crying at points.
Setting - 9/10
The hotel scenery is nice, and I also felt like this investigation did a good job of making every area important. The brief points taking control of Maya and ultimately realizing where she had been hidden was neat as well. Unfortunately, there were no set pieces which particularly "wow"'d me.
Satisfaction - 10/10
Like I said, I almost cried. So far, this trial and a specific part of Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright are the only two instances I can recall having actually teared up. I'm sure there are many more moments, but it just speaks to how great the ending to this trial is that I can instantly consider it one of the top two most moving scenes I can think of. On top of everything else, this trial makes you question the true morality of being a lawyer, which is a much welcome philosophical theme.

Overall - 10/10

Final Thoughts: Farewell, My Turnabout is hands down one of the best episodes in the series. Intense action, cutthroat cross-examinations, and walking the razor's edge through an extremely suspenseful trial. Everything has an emotional payoff, and Farewell, My Turnabout is just fantastic.
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Nightmare » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:09 am

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All

Plot - 10/10
One of the things I like best about Justice For All is how it has an emotional narrative. It doesn't particularly affect the middle two trials, but early on a specific sequence sets off what culminates in real payoff in the final trial. Everything wraps things up cleanly. I feel if Justice For All could be described by a single plot, it would be Phoenix Wright learning why it is he fights and what it means to be a defense attorney.
Quality Consistency - 6/10
The trials all have merits, and most of them have flaws.
Gameplay - 5/10
Justice For All has a whole lot of meandering around, and even having played the game before I still found myself getting confused or stuck at times. It's almost fetch quest-y at times. More importantly, changing the penalty system was, in the case of this game, bad. Your health bar sticks with you through entire episodes and can only be replenished by breaking psyche-locks (which can also lower your health anyway). It's hard to tell the distinctions that each game in the Ace Attorney series makes with its health bars, as slight differences are always implemented. But Justice For All is by far the worst way they handled it. If you take any amount of damage, it carries with you as a handicap for the rest of the trial. And as I said, this game gets convoluted with you running all over the place and with kind of absurdly situational needs to present evidence that doesn't always make sense at a glance. So it isn't hard at all to royally screw up (which can be your fault or othertimes can feel very unfair and not your fault). Knowing you only have 40% starting your investigation makes you run around town with anxiety knowing that psyche-locks are your only hope of salvation, and also your potential doom. It's not fun to barely get through the first day of a trial and then walk into the court the next day knowing you will game over with a single mistake. I consider the consistent penalty gauge to be this game's biggest flaw. But hey, it teaches you to save actively and save often.
Characters - 10/10
As usually, we have some real winners introduced. Almost every new character is memorable, and on top of that the existing characters have some amazing moments of their own. For instance, this is the first time Edgeworth fully embraces his new world view which goes on to become one of his defining traits.
Music - 8/10
Justice For All has some good themes, specifically in the investigation. I also like the confrontation and objection themes. I think it's worth pointing out that the pursuit theme is the weakest in the series. That's not to say it isn't good, but it seems to carry a different weight and feels more like things getting deadly serious as opposed to other games which have pursuit themes which represent unbelievable victory against all odds. Also, it would be unfair to judge the whole soundtrack on one song. I just figured it would be worth noting considering the pursuit themes are so important in these games.
Emotion - 10/10
See the emotional narrative above. It's good, it's entertaining, it works.
Setting - 9/10
They tried. And a circus is certainly unique.
Breakout Moments - 10/10
This game gets an unfair advantage because of how strongly it ends on such an amazing fourth trial. Even having played every Ace Attorney game I still can't think of any instance as game changing and almost being forced to wrongly convict someone to save a life, and the scene where you take down the true culprit is unforgettable.
Satisfaction - 10/10
Bonus points if you give Edgeworth the whip at the end, which sparks an addition to the post-credits scene. Anyway, it feels great.
Memorability - 10/10
For better or worse, I had remembered every single trial from this game. And originally it was for infamous reasons, because I remember not enjoying some of them. But that turned around and I found them more enjoyable this time around. Plus, the antagonists in this game are great.

Overall - 9/10

Final Thoughts: I guess the first two games ended up having very similar qualities, though I would say Justice For All condenses all of it's best moments as opposed to the first game which had a more even, consistent fun. But hey, this game has some of the most memorable trials I can think of. I admit I had to adjust my playing style to account for the less than desireable health system, since the constant savings sometimes felt like they took me out of immersion. But that's nitpicky, and you can look past that to see the real good. Justice For All has definitely earned a place in the series worth acknowledging.
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Catnip » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Looking forward to what is my favorite game throughout the entire series, Trials and Tribulations.
Narudog wrote:I added a song, its called Carmell...it kicks ARSANAGE! Yes, I created that word.

Hey...check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCImo78 ... WQF_t2bSzQ
Catnip
Catz Meow

Previous

Return to General Gaming