Amiibo, in relation to Disney Infinity or Skylanders

Discuss games and systems that are not made by Nintendo.

Amiibo, in relation to Disney Infinity or Skylanders

Postby Nightmare » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:58 pm

So I'm sure all of you have heard the months and months of rare amiibos, expensive amiibos, exclusive amiibos, and generally a huge chunk of the internet going crazy over the things. Some of them are legitimately well sculpted and could make good display pieces, but... you can't really do much with them at the moment.

As it stands, Smash for Wii U and 3DS is the biggest game showcasing amiibo compatibility, but only within the limits of Smash mode. You can't take your amiibo into single player modes like classic or all star, and you can't bring your amiibo with you to fight online with friends. More games in the future will surely make better use of them, but by and large most games with amiibo compatibility just give you costumes or exclusive power ups for tagging in specific 'miibs. Basically a statue with a bit of DLC to them.

Now this got me thinking comparatively, in other figure games like Lego Dimensions, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity, buying a figure generally gives you full on playability of the characters. You can scan Iron Man or Jack Skellington or Darth Vader and get their entire moveset and abilities to play around with them. This makes each figure feel like a much more worthwhile purchase, but at the cost of limiting the content you get from the base game should you not purchase any figures; you'll just never be able to play as those characters.

If internet media and news is to be believed, the limited availability of amiibos have intensely contributed to their exclusivity and desirability. They've almost traded expansive game functionality for rarity and collection value, and people scalp the rare ones all over the place for way more than their original prices. All in all, amiibos are the only game figures that seem to make a loud buzz about how well they are selling.

What are your thoughts on figures purchasable for video games? What do you want out of a figure you could potentially purchase? Which companies do you think are taking better advantage of the sub-genre of figure scanning games?
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Re: Amiibo, in relation to Disney Infinity or Skylanders

Postby Goombachi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:07 am

Honestly $13 is pretty damn cheap for figures of this quality, so I'm content to pay it. The rare ones costing more is a bummer of course, but what are you gonna do? I just ignore the more ridiculous ones.

The fact that they are used in game is more a cool bonus to me. Skylanders and Disney Infinity revolve around the concept, and from what I gather the games are pretty bare bones without them, whereas Nintendo games still give you pretty much everything you would've gotten otherwise. I view it in the same sense that I do DLC in that I don't think it's inherently a bad idea so long as the base game is just as good, but it is one that unfortunately gets abused by game devs a lot.
Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Re: Amiibo, in relation to Disney Infinity or Skylanders

Postby Poisentoad » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:50 pm

I think they're being used good for the most part with Nintendo. I would never get into Skylanders or Disney Infinity because it's required but if people are gullible (or wealthy) enough to think it's worth it then I think they should keep capitalizing on that.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Return to General Gaming