Five Nights at Freddy's

Discuss games and systems that are not made by Nintendo.

Five Nights at Freddy's

Postby Smashmatt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:35 am

So picture this: there's this guy who applies for a job as a night watch for Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. You find out shortly after you start your job that the animatronic characters that entertain the kids during the day roam the halls at night... and if they see you, they'll think your a robotic endoskeleton missing the suit, and will force your body into one, killing you in the process. You'll have to lock yourself in your office should they come near, and keep checking the security cameras to keep tabs on their movements. Problem is, doing either will drain your power, and when your run out of power, Freddy himself comes to greet you... Think you can survive five nights at Freddy's?

...By the way, you don't need to point out why you would ever come back after the first night, since that's already BEEN pointed out dozens of times. I feel like, in certain aspects of the horror genre or by video game logic, you're allowed to bend logic a little. So yeah, I've seen a lot of comments on YouTube, from people complaining it's not scary, a crappy game, or that it's lame because all the popular YouTubers are playing it.

Really, I feel like it's a good use of limited resources. For one, even though the game appears to be 3D, it's running on a 2D engine, so all the 3D effects are pre-rendered. In addition, it does a good job and giving you a feeling of helplessness. Most horror games give you some means of self-defense (some give you so much they call it action horror, and some go over board so the horror aspect can be interchangeable with any given enemy type). Here, it's all about survival, and the only thing that can protect you is the doors, as well as the camera and lights that well tell you where the killers are. Because all three drain power, you have to reserve them for when you need them the most, necessitating that you keep a mindful eye on Freddy and his gang, while learning how they movie to avoid getting killed. The fact that the game has no music, and leaves you reliant on sound and what limited vision you can helps add to the frightening atmosphere. The game uses jump-scares, which most would call a cheap tactic in regards to making things scary, but the thing is, you don't know when or where one of the robotic mascots will show up (since some of them can apparently teleport). Since seeing one of them close to you means instant death and a Game Over, it's only natural to be fearful of them and be shocked when one of them pops up when you're least expecting it.

Really, even though I haven't played this game and only seen the Game Grumps (or rather, Arin/Egoraptor, Barry, and Suzy on Steam Train) and Markiplier play it, I applaud this game's efforts for doing good for the horror genre when it comes to video games. Sure it's a bit light on story, though there ARE some juicy nuggets of insight if you look deep enough, but it really succeeds in unnerving you in a way only a good horror game would, and NOT just because the mascots are creepy-looking in general.

It's definitely a lot better then Slender, THAT'S for sure.
Smashmatt
Smash Master

Re: Five Nights at Freddy's

Postby Goombachi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:32 am

I'm normally not too into horror games since they seem to replace good game design with a lot of emptiness and jump scares, but this game has interested me for a while now because it actually looks scary. The penalty for death is strong enough that it hits you hard, but it's not SO strong that you'll end up annoyed by how much you'll have to redo. It actually focusing on the jump scares as the entire premise makes it feel more cohesive to me, like they knew what they actually wanted to make before they made it.

Will probably pick it up after it's on Steam and gets a sale.
Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Postby HylianDev » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:23 am

I bought this tonight and I'm going to be doing a playthrough of it!

Also, it's worth mentioning that this was made with Multimedia Fusion. It's somewhat comparable to Game Maker or Stencyl. I was a doubter, but apparently well-made and popular games can be made with tools like this. I'm glad that game development is more accessible than it used to be.
HylianDev
Paragoomba

Postby Nightmare » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 pm

This is just a satire of the horror genre, right? This is just an internet-wide collective ironic interest,

right?
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Poisentoad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 am

I've been super interested in this game lately too. Mostly the lore behind it. The gameplay is really good but it seemed to kind of wear after day 3, then they just start recycling but the guy talking on the recording still makes it interesting enough.

For a low budget attempt at a short horror game, it's great. And apparently they're already working on a sequel. I hope this one earned enough money to make the next one even better.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Smashmatt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:41 am

PoisonToad wrote:I've been super interested in this game lately too. Mostly the lore behind it. The gameplay is really good but it seemed to kind of wear after day 3, then they just start recycling but the guy talking on the recording still makes it interesting enough.

For a low budget attempt at a short horror game, it's great. And apparently they're already working on a sequel. I hope this one earned enough money to make the next one even better.

Well actually, when Freddy himself starts roaming around, he adapts to the player's tactics, and changes things up depending on how frequently you check the cameras, close the doors, etc. Because of that, he's very hard to predict, and thus hard to keep out of the office.

A sequel, huh? Eh, horror sequels tend not to be that good, or at the very least, the lose/forget what made the first one so effective in the first place. Hopefully, the guy that made this game will keep in mind wha tmade the firs tone so effective and apply that to the next game...
Smashmatt
Smash Master

Postby Poisentoad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:41 pm

This game has a really effective concept that also seems really easy to execute. I don't see that running out. Not this soon.

And I see so much potential for this. More animations, more places for them to stand in a single room, not have certain ones only appear on one side of the room every time would definitely make it feel less like it has "rules".

I can see a museum type atmosphere where you could close and open indoor gates possibly to lead them somewhere or trap them. Maybe instead of a power limit, have a limit to how many electronics you can have running at once. So if you have one coming at you, you may have to release one you trapped earlier to save yourself.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Poisentoad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:06 am

I don't know if you guys watch critickal but his video is hilarious. Mainly because of the story.

Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Dr. IVXX » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:38 pm

PoisonToad wrote:I don't know if you guys watch critickal but his video is hilarious. Mainly because of the story.

i saw this when he posted it. i love how he can make a commentary on horror games without resorting to screaming and pretending to be afraid like pewdiepie. also the story he tells in this is amazing.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Goombachi wrote:DREW: The original dope big shot.

Nightmare on May 13th at 12:28am wrote:something something memes sword fighting jetstream rodrigez
Dr. IVXX
I Feel Hardcore

Postby Poisentoad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Description:

Welcome back to the new and improved Freddy Fazbear's Pizza!

In Five Nights at Freddy's 2, the old and aging animatronics are joined by a new cast of characters. They are kid-friendly, updated with the latest in facial recognition technology, tied into local criminal databases, and promise to put on a safe and entertaining show for kids and grown-ups alike!

What could go wrong?

As the new security guard working nights, your job is to monitor cameras and make sure nothing goes wrong after-hours. The previous guard has complained about the characters trying to get into the office (he has since been moved to day-shift). So to make your job easier, you've been provided with your very own empty Freddy Fazbear head, which should fool the animatronic characters into leaving you alone if they should accidentally enter your office.

As always, Fazbear Entertainment is not responsible for death or dismemberment.

There's some screenshots on the steam page if you're interested: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =329921390

Looks great so far.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Goombachi » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Damn, already? I heard it's coming out on Christmas, as well.
That's the shortest amount of time between sequels I've seen in a great while.
Still have yet to play the original, though. I own it, so I'll try and play through it sometime before the sequel goes on sale.
Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Postby Poisentoad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:13 pm

And it's all being done by a single person, pretty impressive. If he actually had a team, they could probably have finished this game in a month or two.

Here's an interesting interview about the game's development: http://www.clickteam.com/interview-of-t ... store.html
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Poisentoad » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:21 am

The comments seem to be implying the game is actually out right now. Now to wait for a good let's play.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Poisentoad » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:09 am

Actually gave me chills. Bonus points for no singing children.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby HylianDev » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:52 pm

Five Nights at Freddy's 4 was confirmed a few days ago. The announced release date is Halloween. It's said to be the "Final Chapter".
HylianDev
Paragoomba

Next

Return to General Gaming