Emulators

Discuss games and systems that are not made by Nintendo.

Emulators

Postby Bacon » Sun May 04, 2014 11:23 am

How often do you guys use emulators?

I feel that about six years ago using emulators and downloaded ROMs was a big no-no, is this the case today in 2014? Most of us carry devices powerful enough to emulate even N64 games in our pockets! Right now I have a GBA/C, SNES, NES and N64 emulator on mi iPhone 5, platformers do really suffer from the lack of physical buttons, but RPGs play very well. I replayed the entire Megaman Battle Network series on my phone! Which 50% of it was done while on the pooper, I swear 8 year old me would be really proud of me, I still seat on the toilet minutes after finishing because I'm too entertained playing video games :D

So,do you guys think that emulating is wrong? Why do you feel it's wrong? It doesn't affect sales anymore. My personal code is that everything before the PS2,GC and Xbox Gen is okay.
PoisonToad wrote:Humping my bed profusely usually gets me tired enough to do so in a few minutes.
Bacon
1500 posts! PM supertoad for custom rank

Re: Emulators

Postby Nightmare » Sun May 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Oddly enough I felt better about emulating BEFORE virtual consolrs and the like. I used to be able to justify that there was no way developers could continue to make money on these older titles.

Either way I have little problem using emulators, especially because it's easy to stream games with them. I'm essentially on my computer whenever I'm not at school or work so I havr much more freedom to just click open a program and game, too. Compared to, like, the Wii U I rarely turn on ;-;
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Dr. IVXX » Sun May 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Bacon wrote:How often do you guys use emulators?

I feel that about six years ago using emulators and downloaded ROMs was a big no-no, is this the case today in 2014? Most of us carry devices powerful enough to emulate even N64 games in our pockets! Right now I have a GBA/C, SNES, NES and N64 emulator on mi iPhone 5, platformers do really suffer from the lack of physical buttons, but RPGs play very well. I replayed the entire Megaman Battle Network series on my phone! Which 50% of it was done while on the pooper, I swear 8 year old me would be really proud of me, I still seat on the toilet minutes after finishing because I'm too entertained playing video games :D

So,do you guys think that emulating is wrong? Why do you feel it's wrong? It doesn't affect sales anymore. My personal code is that everything before the PS2,GC and Xbox Gen is okay.

Dude you are doing literally what I do on my Galaxy S2. Protip: Get a bluetooth controller made for phones. Pretty much any size phone clips into them and they let you have physical buttons for your phone. I have one called the Gametel, I got it online for like $20, easily the best $20 I've ever spent
I replayed the entire battle network series too man are you stalking me

Yeah emulation's wrong. It's illegal. But I have like zero regard for the law so I don't care even a little. call the cops.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Goombachi wrote:DREW: The original dope big shot.

Nightmare on May 13th at 12:28am wrote:something something memes sword fighting jetstream rodrigez
Dr. IVXX
I Feel Hardcore

Postby Bacon » Sun May 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Hm, I do see your point Night, but Virtual console is so slow when it takes to putting up more games, how long did it take them to put Super Mario RPG on the VC? Also, the era of DLC has hit older games that get digital re-releases, Sonic Adventure 2 is available in the Playstation Network shop, I went and bought it for ten dollars, but you need to buy a DLC to unlock the Chao Garden Karate! How can they sell apart something that was included in the original game, fucking DLC man!! That's another aspect that I love about emulation, the ease and convenience of it, you can have it basically everywhere! Your pc, laptop, phone, tablet, even your fucking calculator!!

Holy s***, great minds do think alike! I had an Xperia Play for a while, it was an Android smartphone with a built in gamepad, and it was perfection when it came to emulating, but the phone itself was quite bad, it felt cheap and it broke twice within a year, both time the At&t insurance covered it but still. And yes, I've always stalked you, you just look so damn adorable while you sleep : ), that's why I'm not gonna call the cops on you.
PoisonToad wrote:Humping my bed profusely usually gets me tired enough to do so in a few minutes.
Bacon

Postby Goombachi » Sun May 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Dr. IVXX wrote:Yeah emulation's wrong. It's illegal. But I have like zero regard for the law so I don't care even a little. call the cops.

Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Postby Poisentoad » Sun May 04, 2014 10:39 pm

I tried the whole jailbreaking thing with my ipod a few years ago. I hated it. Touch controls made it impossible to play anything and if you turn it off, it deletes everything for some reason. I had to redownload all my music. Twice. Eventually I just said screw it.

Besides, apps go free for a limited time like every freaking day so I've gotten popular ones like Angry Birds, World of Goo, Sam & Max, Rayman Run, Plants vs Zombies, Infinity Blade, Sonic All-stars Racing, etc. legally without even having to pay anything.

Though I was recently reminded that I have a softmodded Wii so I've been playing that like crazy.

I pretty much agree with doc though. Yeah, it's technically wrong but i don't care. I'm broke. And besides, millionaires complaining about losing money? With all due respect, lick my butt.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Dr. IVXX » Mon May 05, 2014 1:47 am

Goombachi wrote:
Dr. IVXX wrote:Yeah emulation's wrong. It's illegal. But I have like zero regard for the law so I don't care even a little. call the cops.

f*** the cops
ImageImage
ImageImage

Nightmare on May 13th at 12:28am wrote:something something memes sword fighting jetstream rodrigez
Dr. IVXX
I Feel Hardcore

Postby Bacon » Mon May 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Bacon

Postby Ronin Catholic » Thu May 08, 2014 8:44 am

I emulate GBC, and not very often.

Before that I played NES emulators.

Every once in a while I go through a fit of Lawful Good and delete all that illegal content from my computer like a good little boy, even though it's not like Nintendo is going to be dropping me a C&D letter any time soon or anything.

Then I whine and complain about how dumb the copyright laws are.

Then eventually I download an emulator and some ROMs again.
Ronin Catholic
Magikoopa

Postby Nightmare » Thu May 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Story of my life, though I've never done that with emulators, only files I would use for livestream. I'd frequently get rid of things as soon as I uploaded them out of paranoia, but I eventually got over it. I have a healthy archive of the more memorable ones I've used, at least.

Real talk though copyright laws are kind of stupid here, there are plenty of logical and fair ways to make a working system that doesn't involve consumers having to break silly laws and billionaire businessmen getting to sue those consumers because they're losing a fraction of their sales :/
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby HylianDev » Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Nintendo isn't making any money off of their games that aren't on Virtual Console, and neither are the original companies. I can see some harm -- some -- in emulating Zelda or Mario, but not necessarily in emulating Kid Niki 2.
HylianDev
Paragoomba

Postby Poisentoad » Sat May 10, 2014 9:19 pm

I still think all those old VC games should just be free. Or at least a good chunk of them. I can't imagine they make much of a profit anyway.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Dr. IVXX » Sun May 11, 2014 5:24 pm

PoisonToad wrote:I still think all those old VC games should just be free. Or at least a good chunk of them. I can't imagine they make much of a profit anyway.

f*** it, mod your wii. it takes literally 5 seconds. you put a file on your sd card and go to the wii bulletin board. you too could be playing pretty much any game you wanted

come to the dark side pt
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dr. IVXX
I Feel Hardcore

Postby HylianDev » Sun May 11, 2014 7:48 pm

I modded my Wii years back. Then I deleted all the stuff I had on it. Then a while after that I tried to download a game from the wii shop channel but it wouldn't let me update the console. I had to call Nintendo and they told me it was because when I modded the Wii, it blocked the console from getting updates. Well I didn't know what to do at that point, until I remembered there was an option in Priiloader to block updates, heh.

Moral of the story: Remember when you turn on options like that. Or something.
HylianDev
Paragoomba

Postby Poisentoad » Mon May 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Dr. IVXX wrote:f*** it, mod your wii. it takes literally 5 seconds. you put a file on your sd card and go to the wii bulletin board. you too could be playing pretty much any game you wanted

come to the dark side pt

I already did.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Next

Return to General Gaming