Google Making Game Console? (plus other consoles)

Discuss games and systems that are not made by Nintendo.

Google Making Game Console? (plus other consoles)

Postby Smashmatt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Just saw this video, not sure if there's a topic for this (not even sure how to search for it). It's about the possibility of Google making a video game console, though one that focuses on mobile games. So if you were expecting a competitor to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, you'll be a little disappointed...

That being said, I'm intrigued... Apparently, the Ouya is out, isn't it? How's that going? Since, you know, the video didn't answer that. Either way, I don't think it's a good idea to overload costumers with video game consoles... After all, that was one of the causes of the video game crash of 1983. Still, color me interested, if only slightly.
Smashmatt
Smash Master

Re: Google Making Game Console? (plus other consoles)

Postby Nightmare » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Smashmatt wrote:focuses on mobile games.

It's literally depressing how gaming has evolved to the point it's at these days, where on one end of the spectrum for high end consoles, the bulk of entertainment comes from online accounts and playing multiplayer competitive shooters or whatever, on another end of the spectrum for PC games the bulk of things is shifting towards inconceivably shitty freemium systems where you end up paying asstons of money to get anything out of a game, and apparently all that is leaving room for on this end of the front are super casual mobile games? That are mostly social or freemium in the same was as PC games, mind you.

I know that there are still single player and narrative based games out there, but it's getting to be a hassle sifting through the dreck to find any fulfilling single player experiences that aren't JRPGs. I'd argue that RPGs aren't the only good genre for telling a story, not by a long shot, but they seem to be the easiest setting for one, and it's getting to the point where I can't even be picky. In a world where developers see how much easier it is to make money based on multiplayer and premium content and subscription fees, there isn't much room to be. I guess that's my own fault for more wanting to have EXPERIENCES more than just wanting to have casual games to play. You'll never get that kind of thing on a mobile ap, so I have absolutely no interest in a Google console if those are honestly what this is focusing on.
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Re: Google Making Game Console? (plus other consoles)

Postby Goombachi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:19 am

Smashmatt wrote:Either way, I don't think it's a good idea to overload costumers with video game consoles... After all, that was one of the causes of the video game crash of 1983.

Eh, not consoles so much as games. There was a flood of shovelware since there was no limits, really. Which, granted, is still pretty much what's happening here, but eh.

I kind of disagree with Nightmare's doom and gloom, though. Just last year The Walking Dead won Game of the Year. The indie scene, thanks to Steam and the prevalence of the internet at large, is succeeding on levels it never has since it was the only thing that existed (Atari days). And Nintendo in particular has taken a notable shift toward more complex games, with its absolutely fantastic 3DS library and the Wii U, which is very limited now, but already has a lot planned for the near future.

It was more true six years ago than today, I think. The casual market has already been overflooded, now I think is mostly a shift toward more serious gaming endeavors. It sort of goes in cycles, like how the NES had a lot of more casual experiences and the next generation had the SNES and Genesis to knock everyone's balls off.
Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Return to General Gaming