Competitive vs Cooperative Gaming

Discuss games and systems that are not made by Nintendo.

Competitive vs Cooperative Gaming

Postby Nightmare » Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Let's have a kind of in-depth discussion!

Nowadays gaming has quite clearly been swaying towards online competition, specifically shooter games and online battle arenas and the like. Though you could argue this is simply taking advantage of networking capabilities in PCs and modern gaming consoles, the fact remains that manly of these games lack fulfilling single player experiences, and are designed solely to pit two teams against one another, or in the case of the fighting genre along with a few others, two players pit one on one. A much less common style of games these days have online gameplay, but instead are geared towards teams of 2, 4, or more players working together towards objectives. Many of these days are on the Indie scene, but some more famous examples exist, such as the Left 4 Dead and Borderlands. A few options still can mess the two, like many MMOs with expansive party vs environment modes in addition to player vs player modes.

Which do you prefer? Do you like the blood pumping action of going head to head with other players and coming out on top, or striving to get better if you lose? Do you prefer to tense team play involved with coordinating a team to fight mobs and bosses, or even just prefer the feeling of getting your best buddy to team up and have your back through a friendly game of Battletoads or something?
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Re: Competitive vs Cooperative Gaming

Postby Narudog » Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 pm

I really enjoy coop games a lot more then competitive. Usually competetive player seem to get too competitive and once that happens I lose all interest. I've personally always been the one to go a more supportive role, so I've always enjoyed the Cleric and Tank classes in games, the ones who might not do anything damage wise but without them the team falls apart. Though competitive games are nice in healthy doses.
Narudog
Paco Elephantè the Water Buffalo

Postby Dr. IVXX » Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Co-operative. theres no "i" in team deathmatch
ImageImage
ImageImage
Goombachi wrote:DREW: The original dope big shot.

Nightmare on May 13th at 12:28am wrote:something something memes sword fighting jetstream rodrigez
Dr. IVXX
I Feel Hardcore

Postby Ronin Catholic » Thu May 16, 2013 11:43 pm

I like games that are co-op but have some element of competition within them, such as limited powerups that anyone could grab and separate scores/lives between players (perhaps with the option to share).

Games like Bubble Bobble, Battletoads, Pocky & Rocky, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii to various extents and quality levels.
Ronin Catholic
Magikoopa

Postby Poisentoad » Fri May 17, 2013 2:38 am

Competitive. I remember when I was younger and actually had friends, we would play games like Mario Kart DD, Pikmin 2, Smash Bros. Melee, etc. And it was just a blast. And I love that feeling of tension where everyone wants to win a game so bad, they're all standing up in the room and trash talking each other. I don't remember ever having that much fun with co-op. It's a lot more satisfying to beat a person than an AI.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Ronin Catholic » Fri May 17, 2013 10:17 pm

I'll drink to that.
Ronin Catholic
Magikoopa

Postby Nightmare » Fri May 17, 2013 10:25 pm

I've lately come to find inherent flaw in trying to enjoy games that basically assert that you should only expect to win 50% of the time, it ends up getting really frustrating to me, even though the satisfaction in winning is a lot more powerful. Specifically in team based games, where sometimes the under performance of your team can set you far enough back that nothing you personally can do can change a losing game, it makes me really wish gaming in generally wasn't gearing itself so towards competition. I guess that's expected in a world where 90% of games are online with other people around the world, the natural outcome would be for more games to encourage playing with other people.

On this subject, regardless of your views on which is better, do you think it's necessarily a good or bad thing that modern gaming is gearing itself so towards competitive gaming?
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Return to General Gaming