a story you should all read

Post, read, and discuss fan fiction as well as original works.

a story you should all read

Postby joefro » Mon May 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Title: GAME OVER
By joefro
actual identity will remain anonymous

In some point in their life, everyone must make a decision of whether to follow popular opinion to do or go by their gut instinct. I learned the hard way that it’s neither: one cannot always go by impulsive reaction. Good choices can only be made through logical thinking and common sense. No one should allow other people to think for them, and after all, your gut can’t think.
The worst mistake I ever made was trusting another to make a choice for me. I’ll never forget the day when I was approached by my good friend Devon. It was Tuesday, July 6, right after the last school day before our second quarter vacation.
“Hey dude! Jimmy! Have you checked the entertainment server lately?”
“I can’t say I have. Why? What’s on there?”
“Only the sickest Vir-Ral game to ever come out! It’s called “Parallel Reality.” The programming and graphics are so flawless, it’s being called a perfect simulation of real life, only better! You get to be or do anything you want. Dude, you gotta check it out.”
“I’ve never really been into those Vir-Ral games… I hear stories all the time how people get hooked on them. I don’t want to take a chance like that.”
“Oh come on Jimmy! You sound like my mother! I don’t think playing a game is gonna wreck your life. Just give it a try. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to play it. It’s that simple.”
“Whatever you say, Devon.”
When I got home that day, I went straight to my Interface Module. I really felt the urge to try this “Parallel Reality,” but I was at a loss for an answer as to why. Was Devon really that persuasive and influential to make me do something that I really had no reason to do? I thought that to be totally impossible. After all, I sometimes questioned if Devon had the ability to persuade himself to do anything.
I stared blankly at the projector for a while, debating with myself about whether I should turn it on. But, before I could react, my hand went straight for the touchpad. The 3d projection popped up above the Module and the oh-so welcoming start-up music rang through my ears. As much as I hated to admit it, I lived for this device, as did all teenagers nowadays. It really connected all of us, despite our differences in the physical world, in a harmonious and cooperative existence in the digital world. For us, it was home.
After it finished starting up, I went to the entertainment server where a list of films, music, and games were projected into the space above the Module. I scrolled down the games list until I saw the icon labeled “Parallel Reality.” I selected the icon, and the screen suddenly burst into vibrant colors. Lively, almost hypnotic music filled the room. I thought to myself, “Hey, this looks alright. Maybe I’ll give it a shot.” This was the biggest mistake of my life.
I played for an hour, then two hours, then four hours. I played for the whole night, and on to the next day. Grinding and mashing buttons, working my way up in the game, gaining levels, making virtual money, and making virtual friends was all I cared about. After I played the whole night, I played the whole of the following day. I was so hooked, it didn’t even occur to me that I hadn’t eaten, drank, or slept since the previous day. My mother was very troubled.
“Jimmy? What’s the matter with you? You need to get off that thing NOW!”
I only half heard her. I gave her my standard response of, “Yeah, OK mom. Just one more hour. I just need to finish up this one thing.”
That didn’t sit too well with her. She walked over to the module and unplugged it from the wall. I was infuriated.
“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!?”
What did I just say? I hadn’t even realized that I had just exploded like that to my own mother. I’ll never forget the look she gave me after my outburst. Her face reminded me of the way prison guards gaze upon murderers in jail. Her look conveyed the deepest form of disgust and disappointment I had ever witnessed. But, she didn’t retort with a yell. She calmly, almost dazedly said, “What’s happened to you. You’re not my son. That… that thing possessed you.”
She pointed to the Module, and then slowly walked away. I was relieved that she was gone so I could get back to my realm, but she returned… with a hammer.
“Mom, MOM NO!” I bawled, but it was too late. I looked away, but still heard the sickening crunch of metal crushing circuitry. I dropped to my knees and buried my head in my hands, sobbing. I heard her pick up the remains of my beloved device and shuffle away.
I lay there, suffering in the pit of my own demise, for what seemed like days. Eventually, the sadness and sorrow turned to hatred and spite. I loathed that vile woman, my mother, for taking away the world that I coveted so much. I had to have get back in; I had to get back in. I had to find a way, somehow, to regain access to my new home, my parallel life. I would do anything, anything at all. Then, I realized I didn’t have to.
I remembered that Devon and his parents had gone away on vacation for the break from school. He had an Interface Module! So, I picked myself off of the floor and ran to Devon’s house, almost getting hit my cars numerous times along the way. As soon as I came into sight of the home with the grass on the roof, I started picking up rocks off of the ground and chucked them at all of his windows. Finally, on my fifth try, I managed to smash through one of the windows. I dove through it, rushed up the stairs into my friend’s room, and switched on his Module.
I immediately logged on to the game, and almost instantly, I was calmed; I was home. I played the rest of the day, into the night, through the next day, and for the rest of the week. After a while, I no longer felt as if I was simply playing the game, but I felt as if I was a part of the fantasy world. I no longer had to even look at the display, I felt my digital environment. I was one with it. I sat there in the darkness of my best friend’s room playing “Parallel Life” until I didn’t have the strength to move my fingers or hold myself up in the chair any longer.
My limp, skeletal frame that used to be a body slithered out of the chair and onto the floor. It didn’t seem strange to me that I was somehow still in the game. My bloodshot, strained eyes were closed, yet I saw from the eyes of my character. My hearing had collapsed with the heat of my feverish cranium, but I still heard everything in and around my digital environment. In fact, I didn’t even notice when my physical body stopped functioning. It was at this moment when I realized that I no longer existed in the real world, but I had taken on a completely computerized form. Now, I tell you this story from the confines of my new digital home as a warning to all those who trust others to make decisions for them. I did. I allowed someone who I thought I could trust and rely on to persuade me into doing something I would never do on my own, and it resulted in my game over.
joefro
Goomba

Re: a story you should all read

Postby Fawful » Wed May 14, 2008 6:05 am

Did you write this on your own?

(Never mind, it is by you.)
Fawful
1500 posts! PM supertoad for custom rank

Postby Darkseid » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Not bad bro, interesting.
ImageImage
Kept you waitin' huh! Solid Snake NOT Naked Snake.
Darkseid
MK Champ

Postby eastdail » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 pm

cool
WRECKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUU
eastdail
Shy Guy

Return to Writing