The Ten Year Basement

The place to create or play games on the forum.

The Ten Year Basement

Postby Goombachi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:17 pm

This was fun on another board, figure we could do it here as well, to see what you guys pick. The guy edited an original article, which had pretty bad balancing. It's better now, I think.

The gist is that you're being locked in a basement for 10 years. After those 10 years, you will receive 10 million dollars. Your basement comes furnished with a nice bed, a sink, a toilet, a shower, a widescreen TV, and a trash chute. You also get 30 points to spend on various items and amenities. For instance, you can get a 52" TV with all cable channels and packages for 7 points, or a skylight for 2 points.

You can cut your eventual 10 million dollar payoff in half to get 35 points to spend. Or you can sacrifice your payoff completely to get 40 points.

The point values:

Plagiarized from the other forum wrote:So yeah, post your selections. If you have any questions regarding the item descriptions, ask. I think I figured out how most of the ambiguities should be handled, I just had limited room with the descriptions!

And of course, the most interesting question isn't what you would pick... but whether or not you would do it, if you were given the choice!

My choices:
This would be fun, would definitely do this, wouldn't even be that hard for me, would probably be easy.

Laptop/Internet--Absolute requirement, this is the one thing I'd need to stay sane. Fucking addicted to the internet, I am. Particularly good if this is the laptop I already have, due to the stuff I have downloaded on it, but if not, I'd still take it.
Vidja games--It even comes with new releases, hell yeah! Video games would be an ideal way to trick myself into thinking I'm accomplishing something, plus I'd have loads to talk about with others online, and it would just eat up the time.
Health services--Not only to stay healthy, but to keep some physical contact with the outside world
Hygeine stuff--It's only two points, and I'd be very very grateful to have some stuff. Like a toothbrush, my teeth would rot out otherwise and that's no good.
Fridge/pantry--I may get kind of bored with the food but not to the point of investing in the full kitchen. Plus, you can do a lot with spices and base ingredients.
Closet--I want more than just my normal outfit.
Skylight--Even me in my secluded environment is smart enough to understand vitamin D deficiency.

That's 30, but believe it or not, I'd be willing to sacrifice five million big ones for one extra thing--
The gym.
Yeah, strange choice for me, but one of the main reasons I DON'T exercise is because it's just so...noisy and in the way of everyone else. This fixes that, and by the time I get out, I think I would actually be in relatively good shape. And f*** doing a million sit ups and pushups as a poor attempt to get the same results, this works so much better. As for the five million I'd miss out on, I don't need it. Quite frankly I wouldn't spend money so quickly that I'd notice the difference. I'd much rather just sit on my five million and be set for life, because I already have most everything I could need. Just buy a home, and then I'd be good. Besides, chicks dig muscles.
Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Re: The Ten Year Basement

Postby Dr. IVXX » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:37 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
Goombachi wrote:DREW: The original dope big shot.

Nightmare on May 13th at 12:28am wrote:something something memes sword fighting jetstream rodrigez
Dr. IVXX
I Feel Hardcore

Postby Nightmare » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:46 pm

If I AM the butler/maid, do I get 9 extra points
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Nightmare » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Damn, I honestly want to pick a selection without the laptop at all, because Ten years to get out of the habit of using it for everything would be great. I could read ten years worth of literature or play all the games I want, but I still basically need the laptop for youtube (lots of cool game music was never officially released so it wouldn't show up in the surround sound library :< ) and for writing stories.

I guess I'd go with
Kitchen
Books
Games
Sound System
Gym
Sky Light
All DVDs

Logic on not picking the laptop is the inability to download images would drive me insane. I guess it would be smarter to take the full kitchen since you could use the ipad to get internet and talk to people
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Goombachi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Don't forget the real question with this:
Would you do it?
I would, most definitely. This s*** would be paradise.
Goombachi

Postby Dr. IVXX » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 am

Goombachi wrote:Don't forget the real question with this:
Would you do it?

of course not. that would be awful. i could never listen to di.fm or go to cascade park or drive around at the abandoned airport and f*** that would be awful
ImageImage
ImageImage
Goombachi wrote:DREW: The original dope big shot.

Nightmare on May 13th at 12:28am wrote:something something memes sword fighting jetstream rodrigez
Dr. IVXX
I Feel Hardcore

Postby Nightmare » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 am

Nope
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Poisentoad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:13 am

I wouldn't be able to. Whenever I have free time to do anything I want (aka always) I'm just never in the mood to even do it. Also, I'm only 20 and feel like my life is already almost done.
Poisentoad
Coffee Addict

Postby Goombachi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:15 pm

But you'd have no responsibilities. No rules. Just do anything you want without all of the getting a job or meeting expectations or bumping into people you don't want to. And you end up with 10 million smackers afterwards. It would be fantastic.
This is the kind of life I've dreamed about, with not a care in the world except for whatever I want.
Goombachi

Postby Nightmare » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:50 pm

Is ten million smackers enough to fund a voyage into a cosmic ray field in space and turn us into the Fantastic Four?
Nightmare
Bot Hunter

Postby Goombachi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:23 pm

No but it might be enough to design a jetpack and buy us some armor and AK-47s so we could be Proto-Boba-Fetts
Goombachi

Postby Ronin Catholic » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Stocked fridge/oven/stove/pantry: 4 points
Art studio: 3 points
Lady friend: 12 points

Total: 19

Looks like I've got room to spare, seeing as the Internet and laptop put me over budget and I'd rather have a potential lover to be with in person. If we can't have a wedding before the ten year basement begins, I'll take the computer instead. Next thing on my list would probably be the unlimited fast food, the garden, or the pet. If I got the lady friend, I might take the board games or video games for the sake of her sanity.
Ronin Catholic
Magikoopa

Return to Forum Games