Alice in Wonderland + Hell = New video game

Discuss games and systems that are not made by Nintendo.

Alice in Wonderland + Hell = New video game

Postby PoisonToad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:02 am

Some of you've probably seen it. Looks like Alice's Wonderland turns into her own personal Hell because memories of the past haunt her. I just found it interesting and creepy. I used to imagine a game where three child story girls (Alice, Red Riding Hood, and Bo Peep) come together in one violent game. Then I saw this existed.

Here's some more gameplay if you wanna see fountains of blood and a bunch of baby arms on a carrier/blob/thingy.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/05/31/al ... mbat-video
PoisonToad
Coffee Addict

Re: Alice in Wonderland + Hell = New video game

Postby Narudog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:18 pm

I've always liked these stories in a more gothic form.
Narudog
Paco Elephantè the Water Buffalo

Postby Goombachi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Totally not a ripoff of American McGee's Alice at all
Goombachi
Your resident ectobiologist

Postby Ronin Catholic » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Personally, I prefer the stories where Alice is just a little girl and the surreality of Wonderland and the country through the looking glass are just part of her vivid, childlike imagination.

Also, can we stop having Alice be some sort of blade-wielding warrior? Given the way she took and interacted with things in the actual books, I'd say using her brains for puzzle-solving would be a much better fit for her style.
Ronin Catholic
Magikoopa

Postby PoisonToad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:49 pm

But then there would be less gore. In Tim Burton's version the whole sword and armor thing seemed so out of place. (Actually that whole movie was a big WTF for me). But being that this one's re-imagined more goth style and adult themed, I think the knife fits. And if you look closely, it's a kitchen knife. So slightly more fitting, eh? Plus her other weapons are a club and pepper grinder.
PoisonToad
Coffee Addict

Postby Ronin Catholic » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Yeah, the kitchen knife fits more, but I don't see why Alice should cling to Wonderland and go bonkers as an adult instead of it just being a few silly dreams she had as a little girl. I mean, that angle has been explored so much, it seems really pointless to me.

Agree emphatically about the sword and armor in the movie being out of place.
Ronin Catholic
Magikoopa

Postby PoisonToad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Yeah it's not exactly original but Wonderland is kind of a staple. Without that, might as well not even base it off Alice in Wonderland at all. But I haven't really played or read any of the twisted versions of Alice in Wonderland so it'll be a new experience for people like me.
PoisonToad
Coffee Addict

Postby PoisonToad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Here's another video. It looks like this also focuses on some platforming and surprisingly in-depth fighting.

I see a teapot item for some mid-long range attacks, an umrella for deflecting projectiles, the pepper grinder functions like a machine gun, she has an exploding rabbit, she can see invisible objects, she can change size (which probably means some puzzle elements will be involved), she can evade attacks by turning into butterflies, a club for some heavy attacks, and the knife for some swift blows, and it seems she can hover for a while using wind.

Alice might give Kratos a run for his money...
PoisonToad
Coffee Addict

Postby PoisonToad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Goombachi wrote:Totally not a ripoff of American McGee's Alice at all

Just found this out, this game is by McGee and it's a sequel to the last one. And you also get the last one free with this one.
PoisonToad
Coffee Addict

Postby Narudog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 pm

PoisonToad wrote:

Here's another video. It looks like this also focuses on some platforming and surprisingly in-depth fighting.

I see a teapot item for some mid-long range attacks, an umrella for deflecting projectiles, the pepper grinder functions like a machine gun, she has an exploding rabbit, she can see invisible objects, she can change size (which probably means some puzzle elements will be involved), she can evade attacks by turning into butterflies, a club for some heavy attacks, and the knife for some swift blows, and it seems she can hover for a while using wind.

Alice might give Kratos a run for his money...

Plus add in the beautiful art style of this game... this is definitely going on my PC. Now they need to make a Red Riding Hood game, and I will be a happy puppy.
Narudog
Paco Elephantè the Water Buffalo

Postby PoisonToad » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:24 am

I imagine Red Riding Hood as a badass. Like with a motorcycle and machine guns.
PoisonToad
Coffee Addict

Return to General Gaming